Updated: Jan 31
Rice is a staple food in India. Easy to cook and filled with a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Image Courtesy Independantco.uk
There are higher possibilities of food poisoning during cooking, storing, and reheating. Taking proper care and measures is important.
Uncooked rice contains spores of Bacillus cereus. Destroying these by cooking may not be possible. Bacillus Cereus causes food poisoning. The spores can grow into harmful bacterias if we leave the cooked rice at room temperature for more than 2.5 hours.
Image Courtesy FoodSafetynews.com
These bacterias multiply and produce toxins that cause diarrhea and vomiting. Even reheating the rice would not help in reducing or get rid of the toxins. Knowing the right way to serve & store cooked rice is essential to cut the risk of food poisoning.
Make sure to wash the rice before pressure cooking and use clean equipment. Cook what is required to avoid wastage/avoid storing in the fridge. Make sure rice is piping hot- cooked and served (minimum of 65*C).
Leftover cooked rice should be cooled and refrigerated. Reheated only once. Ensure you consume the rice within 24 hours and do not store and consume the day.
You cannot freeze the cooked rice. Reheat rice only if it has previously been cooled down safely and stored in the fridge. Reheat until steaming hot. That’s when the mid-portion is also heated thoroughly. Do not reheat more than once.
Image Courtesy depositphotos.com
Aspergillus Niger is the mold that grows on rice if left under room temperature and stored for a longer time.